Ration card is an important document for all the citizens. Ration card is used for various purposes like for buying commodities from ration shops where the products are available at lower prices for the people who are economically poor.It is also used as ID and residence proof and for obtaining other government documents like domicile certificate, passport, PAN card or to get a Voter ID card. It can be used for opening new bank accounts, for admissions in schools, to get a new gas connection and many more. You can also visit the official website of civil supplies and consumer protection department Tamilnadu www.consumer.tn.gov.in also read
Ration Cards in Tamilnadu are categorized in three types:
- Antyodaya Ration Cards (AYY) :These cards are issued to the families whose monthly income is less than Rs 250 per month. This type of card is also issued to the families whose head of the family are widow, or physically handicapped or not in a situation to work. They are issued with a green color ration card.
- Below Poverty Line Cards (BPL) : These cards are issued to the families who are below poverty line. They are provided with the essential commodities at a lower price at ration shops available in there respective areas.
- Above Poverty Line Cards (APL) : These cards are issued to the families who are above poverty line. They are not liable to get essential commodities from the ration shops.
People who are Eligible for Applying Ration Card in Tamil Nadu
- Applicant need to be an Indian citizen and a resident of Tamil Nadu.
- The applicant’s or his or her family members name should not be there in ration card of any other state.
- The names of the members to be mentioned in the application form should be applicants family relatives
Documents Required in Order to Apply for Ration Card An applicant needs various legal documents in order to apply for a new ration card for you and your family. The documents required are mentioned below:
- Applicant’s identity and residence proof or,
- Recent water or electricity bill or,
- Applicant can also submit the front page of the pass book of his or her bank account or,
- Copy of receipt of house property tax in case of own house or No Objection Certificate (NOC) in case of tenant.
- Applicant is needed to give a self addressed and stamped postal card so that the office can contact to the applicant if needed.
- Applicant should give there mobile number and email address to send an automated message to the applicant regarding the application status.
- If the applicant does not have any family card then he or she has to submit the no card certificate which is issued by the card issuing authority.
- Applicant is suppose to give his or her 3 recent passport size photographs.
- Also applicant needs to submit their income proof on the basis of which government issues the ration card.
Procedure to be Followed for Applying Ration Card
After collecting the required documents applicant has to follow a procedure to apply for ration card.
The procedure to be followed is mentioned below:
- First step is to fill the application form with all the details.
- After filling the application
form you need to attach all the legal documents required along with the form.
- Then the applicant needs to submit the application form at the concerned area office of ration card.
- As soon as the application form is submitted in the office the applicant receives an acknowledgment slip in which the date of application, serial number and date of final disposal of ration card is mentioned.
- Once the application for card is received the inspector of the concerned office area visits the location of applicant for the verification purpose.
- After the inspector is satisfied with the verification process the authority issues the ration card in the name of the applicant or if the inspector is not satisfied the application is rejected.
- The applicant is informed about the issuance of card or the rejection with valid reasons.
- The applicant needs to collect the card from the nearest office on the due date mentioned in the acknowledgment slip received.
- Applicant should submit the duly attested application form.
- Two recent group family photographs, the photograph has to be of passport size.
- Surrender or the deletion certificate which is provided by the rationing authority.
- If the applicant has to add the name of the child (below 5 yrs of age) the applicant should provide the teekaran certificate and the birth certificate.
- If the child is above 5 yrs of age applicant has to provide affidavit with the birth certificate.
- Applicant should submit the duly attested application form
- And two recent photographs of the members who wants their name in the card.