Ration card is considered to be an important document in all the states of India. It is the duty of State Government to issue the ration cards to all its citizens. Ration card is not issued to every one, it is issued to those who are eligible for it. State Government has made some criteria to issue ration cards to the citizens. Ration card is an important document which every citizen should have in order to avail several services provided by the State Government. Along with the ration cards documents like driving licence, domicile certificate, voter id card, aadhar card, birth or death certificate, caste certificate etc. Like there are departments in the state for other legal documents, there is a department for ration card as well. The department is appointed by the State Government. The department is. ‘The Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department’. Department has different levels for the issuance of ration card and also different officials appointed at different levels. The Department has fasten their seat belts in order to issue new ration cards to the citizens.
Ration card is divided into three categories based on the economical condition of the citizens of the state. We know there are different class of people like some are rich, few belongs to middle class and some belongs to poor class. So the government has given the duty to
The Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department to issue the ration on the basis of economical condition of people. People who have stable source of income and are able to fulfill their basic necessties are issued Above Poverty Line ration cards. People who do not have any stable source of income and are not able to fulfill their basic necessities are issued Below Poverty Line (BPL) ration cards. People who are extremly poor are issued Antodaya Anna Yojna ration cards.
Ration has several uses in itself. It is used to obtain food grains from Fair Price Shops at lower prices. Fair Price Shops (FPS) are situated in all the areas for the convienience of the card holders. Food grains like rice, wheat, sugar are available at the FPS. These food grains are available at lower prices and are given at fixed quantity. The FPS owners have data related to the distribution of food grains to the card holders as per decided by the department. The food grains at lower prices are distributed to only BPL and AAY card holders. Keeping the economical condition of BPL and AYY card holders state government has decided to provide essential commodities at lower prices which will be a great help to the card holders. Ration card is also used to obtain other legal documents like voter id card, domicile certificate, passport, aadhar card etc and also it is used to obtain LPG, water and electricity connections. It is also used as an identity proof as it comes with a photograph affixed on it.
Now lets talk about the eligibility to obatin ration card. Government has decided elegibility criteria for the applicants to apply for ration card. In order to apply for a new ration card one has to be above the age of 18 years, has to be the citizen of India, should not hold ration card in any other state and applicant should be the head of the family. If an applicant falls in the above mentioned criteria he or she is eligible to apply for a new ration card.
We have discussed about the uses of ration card, different types of ration cards, eligibility crtieria of ration card now comes the procedure for applying the ration card. One has to follow a specific procedure to apply for the ration as decided by the concerned department. The procedure is mentioned below :
There are two ways in which applicant can apply for the ration card :
1) First way is that the applicant can visit their office directly along with the documents which are mentioned below and apply for a ration card. Applicant will get Form D1 to fill and applicant has to fill in all the details about the head of the family and family members. The following is the address of their office:
Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs Department
No 8, Marketing Federation Building
Bangalore – 560 052
For any further details you can dial-1800 425 9339
Applicant has to carry documents while applying for the ration card :
- Three passport-sized photographs of the applicant
- Proof of residence: Copy of any of the following documents showing the residence address of the applicant
- Identity card issued by the Government or by Public Sector Undertakings
- Latest telephone bill on the name of the applicant
- Recent mail received by the applicant
- Latest LPG receipt on the name of the applicant
- Valid driving license
- Valid Passport
- Voter Identity card
- Latest tax paid receipt, if living in own house
- Extract of the Electoral Roll
- Latest rent-paid receipt, if living in a rented house, clearly indicating the name and complete postal address of the owner
- Any other documents that may prove the applicant’s residence
2) Applicant also follow the other way which is mentioned below :
- Applicant can send his or her name in full and SMS to 9212357123 (example:Rajat K Sharma). While sending the SMS applicant’s name should be complete without any spelling mistakes, as applicant will not be allowed to make any changes.
- Once the SMS is delivered, applicant will receive an Entry /token number and a security code on mobile number.
- Applicant has to use this token number and the security code to log on to your online ration card application at the Photo Bio center (urban areas) in the presence of a valid Ration card holder as your introducer. Applicants can click on the following link to view the list of Photo Bio centers:http://22.214.171.124/rconline/rpt_photoCenters_Division.aspx
- Applicant is suppose to fill in the information of his or her family members in the online application form.
- The next step will be to upload your family members’ photographs and biometrics.
- Applicant has to carry recent electricity bill, a photo ID proof and address proof original documents to the photo center. All these three documents will be scanned and uploaded online at the photo center and it is mandatory.
- For the verification purpose a valid ration card holder will introduce the applicant. Now, the applicant is accompanied by a known valid card holder of your area as your INTRODUCER to the photo center, while uploading your family members’ bio photo details. The introducer should carry his original Ration card and his resent electricity bill with him.
- Once the online application form is completely filled the applicant will get a “self-declaration” downloaded and printed receipt at the photo-bio center. Self-declaration document should be jointly signed by the applicant and the photo-bio center login person. Scan this signed declaration and upload online.
- The fee for online submission of application, photographs and finger print biometrics of family members in the Photo-bio center is Rs 50/- only.
- Also applicant can add or delete a name form the ration card, applicant can apply for renwal of old ration card, applicant can apply for surrender certificate, applicant can also apply for the cancelation of ration card.