Ration card is an important document for all the citizens. In today’s life where all the works are done in a legal manner one needs all the legal documents like ration card, voter id card, passport, domicile certificate and many other. These legal documents and certificates proves to be an important for the citizens identification. Ration card is used for various purposes like for buying commodities from ration shops where the products are available at lower prices for the people who are economically poor.It is also used as ID and residence proof and for obtaining other government documents like domicile certificate, passport, PAN card or to get a Voter ID card. It can be used for opening new bank accounts, for admissions in schools, to get a new gas connection and many more.
Gujrat Government has fasten their seat belts and the officials are putting their best efforts in the project of E-Governance which aims at computerization of ration cards. The government is issuing new ration cards to the citizens and also renewing the old ration cards. Government also aims at establishment of fixed price shops (FPS) in all the talukas to provide ration at lower prices to its citizens.
Ration Cards are categorized in three types;
- Antyodaya Ration Cards (AYY) : These type of cards are issued to those families whose monthly income is less than Rs 10,000 per year and they are not living with their children or not getting their pension. This type of card is also issued to the families whose head of the family are widow, or physically handicapped or not able to work.
- Below Poverty Line Cards (BPL) : These type of cards are issued to the families who are below poverty line and whose annual income is less than Rs. 10,000 and do not have stable income. They are provided with the essential commodities at a lower price at ration shops available in there respective areas.
- Above Poverty Line Cards (APL) : These cards are issued to the families who are above poverty line. They are not liable to get essential commodities from the ration shops. They can use ration cards as their identity proofs.
- Applicant need to be an Indian citizen and a resident of Gujrat.
- The applicant’s or his or her family member’s name should not be there in ration card of any other state.
- The names of the members to be mentioned in the application form should be applicants family relatives.
Documents Required in Order to Apply for Ration Card
An applicant needs various legal documents in order to apply for a new ration card for you and your family. The documents required are mentioned below:
- Applicant needs to submit his or her address proof (it can be voter id card, electricity bill, water bill, tax payment receipt or rent agreement in case of tenants).
- Applicant also needs three passport size photographs of the family head which has to be attested.
- Applicant also requires deletion certificate of previous ration card in case of surrender of ration card.
Procedure to be Followed for Applying Ration Card
After collecting the required documents applicant has to follow a procedure to apply for ration card.
The procedure to be followed is mentioned below:
- Applicant is suggested to take the application form from the near by concerned area office and go through the form properly and fill in the form with all the required information.
- After filling the application
form you need to attach all the legal documents required along with the form.
- Then the applicant needs to submit the application form at the concerned area office of ration card.
- As soon as the application form is submitted in the office the applicant receives an acknowledgment slip in which the date of application, serial number and date of final disposal of ration card is mentioned.
- The first step will be collect the application form for duplicate card form the concerned area office.
- Next step would be to fill in the form with all the required details like their name, address, caste (SC/ST/OBC),contact information etc.
- After filling up the form applicant is required to attach required documents mentioned below.
- Address Proof (Voter Id card, electricity bill, water bill, tax payment receipt).
- Caste Certificate (SC/ST/OBC) if required.
- Copy of FIR done at the time of lost of ration card.
- Copy of previous ration card.
- Photo of the head of the family (passport size photograph)
Food and Civil Supplies Office
3rd Floor, Block No 13
Jivraj Mehta Bhawan, Old Secretariat
Gandhi Nagar Gujarat